Cut Your Water Heater Bill With These Four Tips
Posted: May 12, 2020
In a normal month, water heating will gobble up about one-fifth of the energy used in your Massachusetts home – but with everyone spending much more time taking showers, dirtying dishes and washing clothes these days, that number could easily rise.
How do you keep water heating bills from getting out of hand during COVID-19 Lockdown 2020?
Try following these tips to save on water heating
- Cut down on water use – Gallons of hot water can add up quickly! To reduce usage, conserve hot by:
- Taking shorter showers, or showering less frequently
- Installing low-flow faucets and showerheads (you can get them online if you can’t get to your local hardware store)
- Washing your clothes in cold water, and only when you have a full load
- Repairing leaks ASAP
- Insulate your hot water storage tank – If you have a conventional water heater (one with a storage tank), insulate the tank, being careful not to cover the thermostat or burner compartment. For more information, see your owner’s manual or contact us.
- Drop the temperature on your water heater thermostat – The default setting for your water heater is typically 140 degrees – much higher than you’ll probably need. Reset it for about 120°F – a temperature the U.S. Department of Energy says strikes the best balance between efficiency and comfort.
- Upgrade to a tankless water heater – Replacing a conventional water heater – especially an older one or an electric model – with a new high-efficiency propane tankless model in an investment that will pay for itself in just a couple of years. Not only will it save you 30 percent or more on your water heating bill every month, it will also last longer – about 18 years on average vs. 10 to 12 for a conventional water heater.
When you install a tankless water heater, you’ll also get endless water while shrinking your home’s carbon footprint – not to mention the fact that you’ll get that corner of your basement or storage room back (tankless water heaters are about the size of a suitcase…they can even be wall-mounted).
Now is a great time to install a tankless water heater in central MA: act today and you could save up to $900! Contact Pioneer Oil and Propane today for details, or to learn more about propane tankless water installations in Worcester County, MA.
Please note: At Pioneer Oil and Propane, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep your family and our crews safe and your home comfort services coming as we navigate this challenging time.