Although most of these fires are the result of improperly placed or improperly used freestanding portable heaters rather than professionally installed, wall-mounted models, these numbers nonetheless remind us just how important it is to always practice heating equipment in your Worcester County home.
Always read the manufacturer’s instructions and warning labels before you use your space heater for the first time.
Never leave a space heater unattended; turn it off when you leave the room or go to sleep.
Have a three-foot “child-free zone” around open fires and space heaters; do not allow underage children to play in a room unsupervised if your propane space heater is in use.
Never use a space heater to warm bedding, cook food, or dry clothing; keep your propane space heater at least three feet from anything that can burn, including papers, clothing and rugs.
Install smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms on every floor of your home and outside all sleeping areas; test them once per season, and replace them as instructed in your equipment’s owner’s manual. Consider adding propane leak detectors, too.
Never use an outdoor heating device (an outdoor grill or outdoor space heater for example) inside your house! They are not equipped to safely ventilate in your indoor space. Don’t use a gas-powered oven for heat, either (for the same reason).
At Pioneer Oil and Propane, your safety is our top priority. If you have any questions about propane space heater safety – or if you are planning to add a propane space heater to your Massachusetts home – contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate.