Starting 11/23, our Worcester Office moves to 642 Park Avenue, Worcester MA 01603
My Air Conditioner Isn’t Working
Cooling problems? Use this checklist to see if you can find out why your air conditioner is not working
In some cases, you may be able to solve the problem yourself and save a service call. Follow these steps:
If the cooling system does not run, do this:
- Start with your thermostat. Make sure it is on the “cool” or “auto” setting. Also, is the temperature set about 5 degrees lower than room temperature? If you have a digital thermostat and the display screen is blank, you either need new batteries or the power supply has been interrupted.
- Check all power switches/sources for air conditioner. A circuit may have tripped when the cooling system started up. Also check the disconnect switch in the box next to the outdoor condenser.
- Test other appliances or lights. There may have been a power outage in your neighborhood.
If cooling system runs, but there’s no cool air, do this:
- Shut off all power switches and check the condition of the air filter in your air handler (the part of the A/C system that’s inside your home). The filter may be clogged. Change/clean the air filter if it’s dirty.
- Make sure your supply and return air grilles are open and unobstructed.
If you can’t find what’s wrong after taking these steps, call us so we can come out and diagnose the problem.
Tip: Check the filter in your cooling equipment about once a month and replace or clean it if necessary. Make sure the system’s power is off before you do this. Clean filters mean lower bills because your cooling system will run more efficiently.
For more information about solving air conditioning problems or to explore your options in new air conditioning equipment, please contact us or call our office.