Get More for Less: Home Cooling Hacks for Summer 2018
Posted: June 18, 2018
Upgrading to a new high-efficiency air conditioner can be a smart move – especially if your current cooling system has a decade of summers behind it. But you don’t have to spend a ton of money to get better performance from your A/C.
Here are eight ways to get more cooling bang for less buck this summer:
- Clean or replace air filters – As we discussed in a recent blog, a blocked air filter can reduce cooling system efficiency by up to 20 percent. Check filters monthly, replacing or cleaning as needed.
- Use your programmable thermostat – Raising the temperature by a few degrees at night and when you’re not home could save you 10 percent on your energy bill while reducing wear and tear on your equipment.
- Supplement your A/C with fans – Blowing air cools the skin, making you feel comfortable at higher temperatures. With the help of ceiling fans, you can set your thermostat 3-4 degrees warmer without any loss of comfort.
- Minimize solar gain – Invest in window treatments that block solar light and heat to reduce your home’s cooling load.
- Use vents wisely – Why pay to cool a room you aren’t using? Close vents in unused rooms and keep registers free of obstructions. Consider duct sealing, too: a recent study showed that professional sealing could save you up to 15 percent or more on your monthly HVAC bills.
- Generate less heat – Use your propane grill rather than your stove or oven and hang clothes outdoors to reduce your cooling load and bills.
- Get a tune-up – An air conditioner will lose about five percent efficiency each year without routine professional maintenance – meaning that a cooling system tune-up will virtually pay for itself in a single cooling season (while also extending the life of your equipment and keeping it running reliably).
- Consider an upgrade – Today’s central and ductless mini-split air conditioners can be up to 30 percent more efficient than your 10-year-old unit. With that kind of performance, an investment in a new A/C can pay for itself in just a few years while delivering more reliable comfort along the way.
Stay cool and spend smart this summer! And if you’re ready to explore options for a new home cooling system, contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate.