Get Better Performance from Your Propane Appliances, Part 4 of 4: Your Propane Heating System
Posted: October 31, 2017
With efficiencies well into the 90+ percent range, propane furnaces and heating systems are among the best ways to heat your Massachusetts home (if you haven’t switched from electric to propane heating, there’s no better time than the present).
But as we’ve seen with propane clothes dryers, water heaters, and cooking ranges, it’s always possible to get just a little bit more out of any propane appliance – including your heating system.
Here are some tips for doing that:
- Maintain your equipment regularly – We can’t say it enough: An annual tune-up is one of the best investments you can make for your home heating system. With routine maintenance, your equipment run more efficiently and reliably, helping you to prevent many major repairs.
- Weatherize – Caulking or weather stripping around doors and windows and properly insulating attic, basement, and other storage spaces will not only cut your energy bills – it will prevent your equipment from overworking to do its job, which extends its lifespan.
- For furnaces:
- Check your filter monthly – Check your furnace filter once a month when the system is in regular use (more if you smoke in the house or have furry pets) and replace it when it’s dirty. Clogged air filters can cut efficiency and cause unnecessary wear and tear on your heating equipment.
- Use your programmable thermostat – Drop your temperature three or four degrees for eight hours a day (when you’re out or sleeping, for example) and you’ll cut your annual heating bills by 10 percent or more.
- For boiler-based systems:
- Insulate your boiler – Use an insulating jacket to help your boiler to retain heat.
- Consider an upgrade – Today’s high efficiency propane furnaces and boilers can cut your bills by 25 percent or more compared to an older, poorly maintained equipment – enough to offset the cost of the new equipment in just a few years.
From maintenance to propane heating upgrades, Pioneer has your covered. Contact us today for a FREE, no obligation estimate on a high efficiency heating system upgrade for your Massachusetts home!