Five Things to Remember About Your Propane Tank This Winter
Posted: January 27, 2020
Propane provides an efficient, powerful, and green way to keep your family safe and cozy as temperatures drop over the winter months. But as a propane delivery customer, you have some important considerations to keep in mind during the cold weather months – especially before, during, and after the arrival of severe weather.
To help things go smoothly during heating season, be sure to follow these five steps:
- Flag your tank – Install a colored flag near the fill valve of your propane tank so our delivery crew can find it in any weather; a flag also helps the driver to safely and most effectively position his truck for your delivery.
- Keep your propane tank accessible – Snow and ice can make it difficult to reach your tank for proper maintenance, gas level monitoring, and refilling; make sure you keep at least an 18” path cleared to your propane gas tank. If propane delivery teams have to park in your driveway to delivery fuel, be sure to keep that area clear, too.
- Clear the surface of your tank – Once you clear a path to your propane tank, switch to a broom to clear snow and ice from the tank itself; using a shovel for this purpose could damage the tank.
- Monitor your propane levels – If you are not an automatic propane delivery customer, keep a close eye on your propane levels throughout the winter – especially during a cold snap when you will probably use propane more quickly than you realize. Call when your tank is about one-third full; the colder it is, the busier our delivery crew gets, so don’t wait until the last minute to contact us for a propane delivery.
- Give a refresher course on propane safety – Remind your family that a propane leak smells like rotten eggs. If you detect that odor, follow propane safety procedures immediately.
Be prepared for any weather this winter with expert propane heating system service and reliable propane deliveries in the Worcester, MA area from the pros at Pioneer Oil and Propane. Contact us today to learn more, or to become a Pioneer customer.